Sunday, February 12, 2006


I love movies, but I usually end up going to see them alone. My best friend doesn't get out much (what with soon-to-be-three-years-old twin boys and all), so when we do get together, we generally want nothing more than to blaze through Old Navy, and then have a drink or three. My husband won't go to any movie without groaning and rolling his eyes, unless there is a promise of nudity, preferably girl on girl.

This afternoon, I went to see "Good Night, and Good Luck". It had long since left Boulder, but after the Oscar nominations were announced, it returned to one of our two local theaters. Fearing that it would soon be leaving so that they could show "Firewall" on yet another screen at that theater, I went to a matinee, even though I have one million and one things to do right now (prepare for taxes, do laundry, clean house, prep for taxes, clean out fridge and pantry, prep for taxes, get an oil change...oh yeah, did I mention it's tax season?).

I loved the movie. It absolutely flew by - I couldn't believe it when the closing credits came up, I felt like I'd barely been in my seat 20 minutes. I found myself talking to the screen out loud during the film (could be another reason Alex won't go with me), muttering "amen" after one of Murrow's frank and succinct commentaries about exactly why there is no place in a thoughtful society for a nut job like McCarthy.

That's three down ("Brokeback Mountain", "Crash", and "Good Night, and Good Luck") and two more ("Capote" and "Munich") to see before Oscar night.

No comments: