Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I had my second meeting with my nutritionist tonight - we met at Whole Foods, and she helped me shop for things that she's recommending, things that are specifically beneficial for me and my body type. My current type is far, far different from what I started out with - from thin as a rail, to busty, to just big. Not fat exactly - strong, muscular, heavy. Too heavy for my tastes.

It sort of makes me unhappy to even need to seek help, but I've come to the awful realization that everything changes as we age, most especially our bodies and our metabolisms. My metabolism seems to have come to a screeching halt of late, so even though I eat well and work out 2-3 times per week, it's not enough anymore. I actually have to rethink the foods I eat, even though they were pretty healthy to begin with. I'm having blood work done to make sure that my cholesterol is where it ought to be, and that all my kidney and adrenal functions are normal - I tend to drink tons of water, but still generally feel thirsty.

The nutritionist has put me on some supplements - one for electrolytes (for the thirst/dehydration thing), and one for EFA (essential fatty acids), because I don't eat fish and she feels that I'm pretty deficient in those EFAs. I'm working on my own sort of "Lose the Buddha" kind of thing.

No comments: