Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I know it's been a long time since I posted. So much has happened in the last month - I went from kind of looking for a new job to starting a new job in less than 30 days.

My previous employer (the evil THEY WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED) had been dangling some bait in front of me for about 9 months - the promise of a promotion to a much better job. In true THAT COMPANY fashion, I had to actually do the work of the new job, in addition to my actual job, in order to be worthy of the promotion. So I did it. I worked my ass off for 8 months, crafting a job description and rallying supporters within my department. It looked really promising. I advised my boss that if that promotion didn't come through, he should plan to have replaced me by January. He didn't take me seriously, I guess. The budget axe fell, and my new position was cut. Actually, it's too convenient to blame it on the budget. It was actually a result of tremendous spite and venom from our COO, who hates me but hates my boss even more. It was payback.

So, on to bigger and better. Two days after they cut my position, I reached out to a friend who had just started working at a new office in Boulder, a regional office for a company based in CA. I sent my resume, and a couple of days later I heard from their HR person. I interviewed with her on a Thursday, and with 3 other people from that company on Tuesday of the following week, and two days later I had an offer. I gave notice at my old job the same day. Basically, from the first time I spoke to them, it was 7 days until they made me an offer. It felt fantastic.

It's been an odd transition for me, which is one reason I've been so quiet online. I worked for my last employer for 4 years, and prior to that I worked for one executive for almost 10 years. I'm not a flake, I don't job hop - I find a niche where I'm comfortable and feel valued, and then I dig in and work hard. All I've wanted for the past few years is to be allowed to do that, and to be paid what I think is commensurate with that kind of commitment. Hopefully I've found it.

Sorry for the boring post. I'll be working on some catch-up stuff for you later.

No comments: