Monday, July 11, 2005

As some of you may know, last Friday was my wedding day. Getting married, getting presents, being surrounded by family and friends tends to make you feel pretty much like the center of the universe. One of the more self-indulgent things I did last week was to go to the hippest nail spa (don't call it a salon, they'll correct you) in Boulder for a manicure and pedicure the day before my wedding. That day, of course, was last Thursday, July the 7th. Seeing as I was living in my little wedding week bubble, I hadn't turned on the tv or listened to the radio at all. However, when I arrived at the nail spa, the wall where they normally project movies or old reruns of "Seinfeld" was instead showing CNN and pictures of London having been attacked. I can't begin to express my feelings of outrage and sadness at this newest attack. I have such fond memories of my time spent in London, what a gloriously peaceful and pleasant city it is. I hope that at her heart, London will remain that way, despite what has been brought to her streets and to her people. My heart goes out to every person touched by what happened that day.

Via Len - this was too good not to snatch and post here as well:

From the Declaration of Arbroath, written by the Scots in 1320:

for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under [terrorism’s] rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

No comments: