Monday, September 27, 2004

I READ BANNED BOOKS

It's Banned Books Week (the last week of September each year). How many of these banned (or "challenged") books have you read?

Here's the list of banned/challenged books in 2004, according to the American Library Association:

    - To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
    - King & King & Family, by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland
    - Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
    - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
    - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
    - Places I Never Meant To Be: Original Stories by Censored Writers, edited by Judy Blume
    - Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
    - Fools Crow, by James Welch
    - Kaffir Boy: The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa, by Mark Mathabane
    - Stones from the River, by Ursula Hegi

I've read half of these, including two which were required reading in grade school. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time, and I think one of the finest ever written.

To voice your opposition to censorship, read a censored book this week.

No comments: